Message from the President
Shifting fields of the products.
Securing human resources.
For the continuous development of the Pulp and Paper Industry.
For further strengthening of pulp and paper manufacturing technology, we continue to provide places and opportunities to discuss the latest technology by holding seminars, the research conference and the annual meeting.
For inexperienced engineers, we hold new basic lecture courses regarding kraft pulping and papermaking.
For shifting fields of the products, we promote the exchange of technical information and networking in the fields of cellulose nanofiber, plastic alternative, biomass utilization, and household paper.
Nano Cellulose Japan, a national organization of industry, academia and government that promotes the expansion of the industrial scale, was founded in April 2020. We have cooperated with the establishment, and we work together.
For securing human resources, we make more opportunities of being understood that the Pulp and Paper Industry is an attractive industry with the potential for further development and we provide opportunities where young engineers in the industry and students can meet and discuss.
President Fumio Shindo
Director of the Board, Senior Executive Officer
Oji Holdings Corporation
Outline of JAPAN TAPPI
in February 1947,
JAPAN TAPPI was founded for the development of the pulp and paper industry after World War II.
Objectives and Projects
Objectives (Association Constitution Article 2)
The objective of this association is to promote the exchange of technologies and academics that form the basis of them related to the pulp and paper industry and related industries, thereby enlightening the knowledge of members, improving their abilities, and developing these industries.
Projects (Association Constitution Article 3)
This association carry out the following projects to achieve its objectives.
- Holding conferences, symposiums, tours, etc.
- Awarding groups or individuals.
- Introducing researches, tests, investigations and discoveries.
- Technical guidance, information gathering, standard deliberation and establishment.
- Publication and collection of journals and books.
- Other necessary matters.
|Founded||February 14, 1947|
|Name||Japan Technical Association of the Pulp and Paper Industry|
|Address||Kami Pulp Kaikan 11th Floor|
9-11 Ginza 3-chome, Chuo-ku, Tokyo 104-8139 Japan
|Operation||JAPAN TAPPI represents Japanese pulp and paper technical organization.|
JAPAN TAPPI is also an academic research organization stipulated by the Science Council of Japan Act.
The board of directors, which is composed of officers elected from members, deliberates and decides on operational matters. Standing Committees plan and manage events such as annual meeting, seminars, research conference, publishing, awards, and test standards.
Number of members
Pulp and Paper manufacturers 26 companies Suppliers to the industry 148 companies
as of June 2020
Regular & Student 2498 persons Overseas 14 persons Honorary (Domestics) 13 persons Honorary (Overseas) 3 persons
as of June 2020
Corporate Member（Pulp and Paper manufacturers）
- CHUETSU PULP & PAPER CO., LTD.
- DAIFUKU PAPER MFG. CO,. LTD.
- DAIO PAPER CORPORATION
- EHIME PAPER MFG. CO., LTD.
- HOKUETSU CORPORATION
- HYOGO PULP CO., LTD.
- KAGA PAPERBOARD MFG. CO., LTD.
- KJ SPECIALTY PAPER CO., LD.
- KOA KOGYO CO., LTD.
- LINTEC CORPORATION
- MARUSAN PAPER MFG. CO., LTD.
- MARUSUMI PAPER CO., LTD.
- MIKI TOKUSHU PAPER MFG. CO., LTD.
- MITSUBISHI PAPER MILLS LIMITED
- NIPPON KODOSHI CORPORATION
- NIPPON PAPER INDUSTRIES CO., LTD.
- NIPPON PAPER PAPYLIA CO., LTD.
- OJI F-TEX CO., LTD.
- OJI MATERIA CO., LTD.
- OJI HOLDINGS CORPORATION
- OKAYAMA PAPER INDUSTRIES CO., LTD.
- OSAKA PAPER CO., LTD.
- RENGO CO., LTD.
- TATEYAMA PAPER MILL CO., LTD.
- TOKUSHU TOKAI PAPER CO., LTD.
- TOMOEGAWA CO., LTD.
Corporate Member of Suppliers to the industry includes the following companies or organizations
- Related government offices and national & public research organizations.
- Manufacturing companies and sales companies of facilities, equipment, tools, materials and chemicals for pulp and paper manufacturing.
- Sales companies of pulp and paper products.
- Publishing companies of pulp and paper technology.
- Related companies or organizations of pulp and paper manufacturing technology.
■ Annual Meeting
We hold an annual meeting every autumn in Tokyo area or the vicinity of domestic paper mills. The meeting consists of the following programs and about 800 people participate in the meeting.
- Awarding ceremony and Special lectures.
- Presentation on pulping, papermaking and related new technologies and equipment.
- Suppliers’ exhibition and mill tour.
■ Conferences and Seminars
Pulp and Paper Research Conference
Presentations of research achievement results in the field of pulp and paper and related.
Pulp and Paper Process Control and Automation Conference and Exhibition
Presentations and Exhibitions on process control and automation technologies, including operational experiences, new technology / equipment.
Seminar on environmental protection measures and product safety related to the pulp and paper industry.
Papermaking Technology Seminar
Seminar on paper manufacturing from papermaking to finishing including operational experiences, new technology / equipment and new chemicals.
Pulping Technology Seminar
Seminar on pulp manufacturing including operational experiences, new technology / equipment and new chemicals.
Energy Management Seminar
Seminar on new technologies and case reports related to energy management of pulp and paper mills and maintenance of infrastructure and equipment.
Seminar on patent-related issues from application to joint development contract.
Process Control and Automation Basic Course
Basic lectures for inexperienced engineers in process control and automation technology.
Pulping Basic Course
Basic lectures for inexperienced engineers in pulp making.
Wet End Basic Course (Scheduled to start in 2022)
Basic lectures for inexperienced engineers in the wet end, which is the basis of papermaking.
- JAPAN TAPPI JOURNAL which is a monthly magazine and contains technical information on pulp and paper.
- Technical books on pulp and paper.
- JAPAN TAPPI Test Methods.
- Abstracts of Patents and Utility Models related to pulp and paper in a wide range from cellulose nanofibers to household paper which is issued twice a month.
■ Pulp and Paper Test Standards
- As a JIS (Japanese Industrial Standard) drafting organization, we draft the test method for part P (pulp and paper).
- As a participating member of TC6 (paper, paperboard, and pulp) of ISO, we discuss the establishment, revision, and abolition of ISO standards.
■ Overseas Technology Exchange
- Hosting and Sponsoring international conferences on pulp and paper technology.
- Publication of international conference participation reports in JAPAN TAPPI JOURNAL.
The following awards are presented every year to those who have made remarkable achievements in research and technological development related to pulp and paper and have contributed to the pulp and paper industry.
THREE AWARDS (FUJIWARA AWARD, OHKAWA AWARD, SAEKI AWARD)
In commemoration of the late Ginjiro Fujiwara, the late Heizaburo Ohkawa, and the late Katsutaro Saeki those left remarkable achievements in the pulp and paper industry, Three Awards are given to individuals who have contributed to company / factory management, mechanical / chemical technology.
In commemoration of the wishes of the late Tokizo Sasaki, the founder of MARUCHA Co., Ltd., SASAKI AWARD are given to companies or individuals who have achieved remarkable results in technological development and research and development related to pulp and paper.
JAPAN TAPPI AWARD
The best peer-reviewed papers published in JAPAN TAPPI JOURNAL that year.
Pulp and Paper Research Conference AWARD
〇 Best Presentation Award
The best presentation in the conference.
〇 Young Excellent Presentation Award
The excellent presentations from the oral presentation category and poster presentation category given by 30 years old or younger.
JAPAN TAPPI JOURNAL Contents and Abstracts
First published in August 1947.
Contains a wide range of technical information on pulp and paper.
Delivered to members once a month.
Information about the events such as seminars, annual meeting, research conference, etc.
What JAPAN TAPPI membership offers
1. Receive JAPAN TAPPI JOURNAL every month
You can get technical knowledge and information on pulp and paper through JAPAN TAPPI JOURNAL.
2. Access to back numbers of JAPAN TAPPI JOURNAL through J-STAGE
Individual members can view and download the papers published in JAPAN TAPPI JOURNAL using the membership ID and password given at the time of enrollment.
J-STAGE is a free publication system for electronic journals operated by the Japan Science and Technology Agency (JST).
3. Membership discounts for the annual meeting, the research conference and the seminars
By joining these events, you can contact up-to-date research and technical trend.
Also, it’s possible for you to use it as a place for information exchange between members.
How to join JAPAN TAPPI
■ Procedure of Entry
- Regular members and Student members can join at any time.
- Corporate members and overseas individual members can join in April or October.
- The membership fee for the first year will be charged according to the months at the time of enrollment.
- Please apply online or contact us by E-mail.
- As soon as payment of the membership fee is confirmed, we will process your enrollment and prepare to send you the Journal.
- If you are a student, please send a copy of your student ID card.
■ Membership classification and annual membership fee
|Pulp and Paper manufacturers||¥35,000 /unit (3 units or more)|
|Suppliers to the industry||¥80,000/unit (1 unit or more)|
*1 JAPAN TAPPI JOURNAL will be sent by surface mail.
If you want to receive JAPAN TAPPI JOURNAL by airmail, the annual membership fee is ¥18,000 plus the following airmail costs.
|Africa, South America||¥14,000|
|All Other Areas||¥12,000|